What is Toggl?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Toggl is a project management and time tracking solution. It is cloud-based, with apps on desktop, iOS and Android. It allows for time logging, project creation and activity tracking. Projects can be tracked with an estimated completion time, giving insight into operations efficiency and deadlines. Worker productivity can be monitored through its timeline, which shows all sites and programs viewed for more than 10 seconds.
Custom tags can help filter data, which can be displayed on the timeline, in dashboard visualizations or reports, which are exportable in a variety of formats. Unique permissions and billing rates allow for employees at different levels and different locations to track time. It offers scaled pricing.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use Toggl?
Key differentiators & advantages of Toggl
- Increase Operations Insight: Managers get overarching views of projects and workers. They can view the status of projects and workers in real time or through customizable reports with unique tagging filters.
- Address Work Inefficiencies and Promote Productivity: Project and employee activity tracking give managers glimpses into where they can improve operations. Estimated project times give a juxtaposition for actual project times, and tracking of employee websites and programs viewed shows productivity and focus.
- Remote Team Support: Mobile apps and customizability allow workers to track time from wherever they work. Unique settings on an individual level enable workers to have different assignments, pay and permissions, regardless of location. Time tracking can be done offline to enable field work.
- Better Organize Finances: Customizable billing rates help balance finances and address payroll and project costing. Integrations with third-party payroll providers streamline fulfillment.
- Scaled Pricing: Three tiers of pricing let companies decide how much functionality they need compared to what they can afford, promoting usability by companies of any size and industry.
Like most time and attendance software, Toggl was created initially for internal purposes before going public. Since its inception in 2006, it has grown to more than 80 employees across the globe and transitioned to completely remote working. According to the most recent data, it has at least 1.6 million users on more than 70,000 teams. It is suitable for all industries, with a focus on software developers, legal teams, creative agencies and remote work.
- Time Tracking: Users can track and log their time through installed or web apps. The platform allows for editing, autocompleting and rounding of time entries. Entries can be linked to projects and integrated calendar events. Set automatic reminders make sure employees clock in and out when they are supposed to. It allows for offline time tracking that syncs once an internet connection is established.
- Activity Logging: A feature titled “Timeline” records all webpages and programs that are viewed for more than 10 seconds. It presents this data in 15-minute intervals.
- Team Management: Administrators can manage workspaces and users. They can set user-specific user permissions, tracking reminders and billing rates.
- Tasks: Tasks can be assigned to specific users. Task statuses can be set as in progress and completed. Time estimates can be set to encourage productivity and maintain deadlines.
- Dashboard: Dashboards give managers overviews of workers and projects. They can view employee activity and hours, and track project progress in relation to estimated time.
- Reporting: Reports can be exported in different formats, including PDF, Excel and CSV. Users can also implement custom tags for filtering purposes to produce deeper insights.
- Billable Rates: Billing rates can be set by user, project or task. Variable billing rates can be set across different time entries, even for the same worker.
- Mobile Apps: Apps for iOS and Android can track time offline. The iOS app is voice recognition enabled.
- Pomodoro Timer: This feature promotes productivity through a browser extension available for Google Chrome and Firefox.
- Integrations: More than 100 existing integrations increase functionality via third-party applications. Options include Google Calendar, Trello, GitHub and more. An open API allows users to develop their own integrations.
At the time of this review’s publication, these are the limitations of Toggl according to user feedback:
- Does not allow manual time input in the timeline
- Does not allow report exporting from iOS and Android apps
- Does not have a screenshot feature
- Does not provide keystroke logging
- Does not provide invoicing and scheduling
Toggl Suite Support
mail_outlineEmail:Customers can get email support at [email protected]
phonePhone: Phone support is not provided.
schoolTraining: A knowledge base on the vendor’s website provides roughly 100 articles covering topics ranging from initial setup to data management. The vendor also has a YouTube channel with training videos.
local_offerTickets: Support tickets can be submitted through the vendor’s website on the “Contact Us” page. A form requires name, email address and a message.