What is Microsoft Project?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Microsoft Project
- Integrations: Integrates well with other products in the Office suite, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Capture Work Hours: Includes timesheets where team members can fill in hours worked by day and task. Has a simple approval process that lets managers add notes if they reject a submission. Timesheets give insight into project progress and help keep it within time and budget limits.
- View Multiple Timelines: Get the big picture of every facet of a project with a visual layout of tasks and milestones. Customize what information appears on timelines and share them with project stakeholders.
- Collaborate Efficiently: Integrates with Skype for Business, keeping your team connected via video calls and chat rooms. Direct access to Skype ensures users don’t have to switch between apps.
- Simplify Project Planning: Supports waterfall, agile, hybrid method, Gantt charts and pulldown menus to aid project planning. Lets users work in sprints using a Kanban layout.
- Resource Management: Set up teams for success by requesting resources. Heat maps help identify overworked or underused resources. Lets managers project usage, monitor progress and address issues using analytics.
- Portfolio Optimization: Models different scenarios using tools like analysis scatter charts. Weigh project proposals against strategic business drivers with organizational cost and resource constraints in mind.
- Reports: Offers a number of reports that include a dashboard, progress and cost that provide insight into project metrics. Individual reports include burndowns, project overviews, critical tasks, cash flow, earned value, late tasks and more. Create a customized report from four template types: blank, chart, table and comparison.
- BI Capability: Connect with business intelligence apps like Power BI Pro to gain visibility across portfolios. Supports data aggregation to gain comprehensive insights.
- Proposal Evaluation: Gather project ideas, use standardized processes to evaluate them and funnel project charters and business cases to management for review and approval.
- Has a steep learning curve.
- Allocating resources becomes difficult while working with multiple people per team.
- Customization is not easy.
Microsoft Project Suite Support
Microsoft Project Reviews
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Synopsis of User Ratings and Reviews
Based on an aggregate of reviews taken from the sources above, the following pros & cons have been curated by a SelectHub Market Analyst.
Microsoft Project offers a robust suite of project management capabilities, and most users find that the system is easy to use. It’s customization capabilities allow most businesses to configure the system to meet specific business needs, and most issues with the system are resolved by contacting customer support. Users also note that the implementation process is lengthy and difficult. It also does not facilitate collaboration.
Based on 3251 reviews: