What is MailChimp?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Mailchimp is a web-based marketing platform that specializes in email marketing, sending, monitoring and personalizing communications. Given its pricing point, it’s great for small or medium-sized businesses who want a fully-featured marketing implementation.
Some of its standout features for include an intuitive website builder with a drag-and-drop interface, an integrated marketing database, as well as robust landing page builders for web and social media traffic. It also facilitates the creation of digital ads as well as physical postcards to reach customers via postal services.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use MailChimp?
Key differentiators & advantages of MailChimp
- Free Version: Mailchimp offers a free version of the software with features such as audience dashboard, tags, segmentation and more.
- Multivariate Campaign: Mailchimp offers a multivariate campaign, which allows users to test up to eight campaign variations and send improvised emails every time. MailChimp’s Multivariate testing feature enables viewing the impact of small changes to email campaigns on subscriber engagement.
- Mobile App: There’s a mobile application for iOS and Android devices to access reports, manage audiences, create campaign content and work on email campaigns on-the-go.
- Retargeting Digital ads: Mailchimp enables re-targeting for website and landing page visitors when they use Facebook and Instagram. Re-targeting can bolster revenue and keep users in constant contact with customers.
- Website Builder: The software makes building a website for free without coding skills easy, saving users both time and money they would have spent on a developer. It also provides a built-in sign-up form and an option to claim a custom domain name to help build a user’s brand out.
- 24/7 Support: Mailchimp’s support team and resources are available 24/7. Mailchimp also offers unlimited access to their tutorials and marketing guides, also offers assistance in contact management, template design and website development.
- Two-factor Authentication: It offers two-factor authentication for an account’s security system, which includes the Mailchimp login credentials, and one-time passcode that will be received via text message, ensuring system security and authentication.
Founded in 2001, Mailchimp brings years of experience in the marketing automation space to the table. The company serves industries as diverse as fashion, education, IT and more with its suite of tools and products, which are oriented around email automation.
- Audience Dashboard: Mailchimp’s audience dashboard supports storing contact data, and enables tracking trends on it to understand the audience better. Every section in the audience dashboard is clickable, so users can instantly launch campaigns based on that data.
- Segmentation: It offers ready-made segments based on campaign activity, purchase history and more, to send campaigns. Up to five layers of segmentation filtering can be enabled, and the data is updated automatically. Advanced Segmentation enables adding a set of nested conditions that facilitate different combinations of data collected such as purchase activity, gender, age range and more.
- Behavioral Targeting: The software’s API enables pulling custom event data or actions performed by users into Mailchimp. This enables sending targeted messages based on specific activities, such as starting a download or renewing an account.
- Lookalike Audience: Mailchimp's lookalike audience finder feature works with social ads and postcards to reach more people. Mailchimp uses its marketing CRM data and audience network to find new people similar to their contacts. Mailchimp also supports creating Facebook and Instagram ads, and targeting people interested in the company’s products.
- Content Studio: Mailchimp’s content studio facilitates storing assets such as photos, documents, and other files. It also supports uploading or syncing assets, editing them directly in the content studio and using them for marketing.
- Templates: It offers more than 100 pre?designed templates, and also supports customizing templates to launch campaigns.
- Email Builder: The integrated email builder enables post creation for social platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter directly from the email builder. It also facilitates adding photos, writing copy and sharing the post after the email is sent.
- Landing Pages: Mailchimp provides landing pages that contacts or potential contacts can land on when they click through from an email, ad, social post or other location on the web.
- Email Automation: Mailchimp can automate emails based on dates and events. It also supports automating welcome messages after a user has subscribed. Users can drag and drop RSS content into any template to pull in the latest posts.
- Schedule Campaigns: The platform allows users to send a campaign or schedule it for a specific date and time. This feature includes send time optimization which recommends a time for subscribers based on click time activity, timewarp to send campaigns to recipients based on their time zone, batch delivery to send campaigns in timed batches and pausing campaigns.
- Reporting: Mailchimp’s reporting suite enables monitoring trends and tracking performance. The growth, engagement, and revenue reports facilitate viewing who has interacted with marketing, and whether they’ve clicked, bought, or downloaded. Reports also support comparing open, click and unsubscribe rates to industry peers.
- Real-Time Analytics: Mailchimp enables keeping tabs on all marketing campaigns including emails, automations, social ads and more, from the Mailchimp account. Mailchimp also provides real-time stats to manage the marketing budget. It also enables tracking sales from a campaign to purchase, and facilitates finding out the customers that made a purchase after opening the campaign, viewing what they bought and the money earned by the campaign.
- Integrations: Mailchimp allows users to integrate with apps and web services including Xero, Zapier, Square, LiveChat and more.
- A/B Testing: The app offers A/B testing, where users can test up to three variations for their campaign and build a working strategy.
- Security: Mailchimp’s security includes data center security, protection from data loss/ corruption, application level security, internal IT security and more
Some of the product limitations include:
- Its contact management system does not support adding two email addresses to the same contact
- Mailchimp has a limited number of templates for newsletters/publications
Mailchimp Suite Support
Support is tiered depending on which plan users select. They offer three different tiers of support: Free, Paid and Premium. Users on the Premium tier will get access to all levels of support, support chat and email support. Premium users get support email and support chat, as well as every support option available to Free users. Free users have access to support chat as well as a robust library of articles and white papers.
mail_outlineEmail: All support tiers get access to support email 24/7.
phonePhone: Phone support is available Monday through Friday EST. This support option is available only to Premium subscribers.
schoolTraining: All levels of support get access to a rich knowledge base and other self-service support options.
local_offerTickets: Ticketing options aren’t available at this time.