Best CAD-CAM Software
It’s time to dive into our picks of the best CAD/CAM software. Have your wishlist ready.
Solid Edge CAM Pro
Solid Edge CAM Pro is an on-premise program that employs machining mechanics to activate computer numerical control (CNC) accessories. CNC is a subtractive manufacturing operation that creates a custom-designed part by withdrawing layers of unnecessary materials. Some of this solution’s key features include three-axis milling, wire electrical discharge machining (EDM), drilling and more.
An example of Solid Edge CAM Pro’s Toolpath Visualization Module
Mill Basic or Solid Shapes
You can employ the 2.5-axis milling tool to apply rough patterns to basic boundary data or solid shapes. Zig-zag, offset or plunge toolpaths can be applied. This tool also promptly recognizes and programs slots and faces on workpieces.
The three-axis milling component can assist you in roughing, rest milling, semi-finishing and finishing curved shapes such as rasters, offsets, adaptive clearance toolpaths and added patterns with steep and non-steep recognition, valley rest milling and facet machining.
You can perform geometry selection and user control with the five-axis milling module. It also offers multi-axis slicing for unique surfaces with automatic or manual methods. You can also employ a variety of drive options and tool axis control.
Solid Edge CAM Pro is equipped with a turning tool that has a variety of turning tool paths including teach-mode and other manual methods for sharp control. It can work with the most intricate shapes with multi-spindle and multi-turret elements. You can use this module to work with 2D workpieces, wireframes and solids.
Electrical discharge machining (EDM) is the procedure of removing unwanted materials from workpieces using thermal energy such as laser cutting or an electrode. The wire EDM tool assists in configuring two to four-axis wire EDM machinery. Multi-pass profiling, wire reversing and area removal are some of the available wire techniques.
Other Noteworthy Accessories
Besides the recommended CAD-CAM features, Solid Edge CAM Pro comes with other manufacturing features worth mentioning. These accessories include:
- Drilling: The drilling tool addresses drilling, reaming, boring, tapping, peck drilling and custom drilling cycles.
- Machining Simulation: This accessory provides simultaneous metal withdrawal with a full machine simulation component with a live toolpath, dynamic pan and zoom of the view, and on-machine probing cycles.
- Toolpath Visualization and Editing: Solid Edge CAM Pro has a toolpath visualization and editing feature that performs integrated collision checks and verifies potential issues while offering graphical editing functions and locking toolpaths to protect edits.
- Postprocessing: The postprocessing tool enables you to review and refine existing postprocessors with a pragmatic post-builder element or post-builder templates to make brand new postprocessors.
- Shop Documentation: You can transfer product manufacturing information (PMI), the crucial engineering or manufacturing details imbedded in a 3D CAD file, and other geometry information from Solid Edge to Solid Edge CAM Pro with the shop documentation accessory.