What is Udemy?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries.
Udemy is an online learning platform with over 40 million students. It’s used by 80% of the top Fortune 100 companies. They’re self-paced and recorded by industry specialists. Some class subjects include business, design, developing and programming, marketing, music, personal development, photography, IT and more.
Once purchased, units are available to the user indefinitely. Learners can reference them whenever they need a refresher. It offers courses from over 190 countries. Overall, it has 50,000 instructors and 130,000 courses taught in more than 60 languages. To date, it’s seen over 245 million enrollments.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use Udemy?
Key differentiators & advantages of Udemy
- Upskilled Workforce: With constantly changing duties in the modern workplace, finding staff with the right abilities is difficult. For an organization with competency gaps, it can be an easy and affordable way to upgrade staff. The courses get tailored to specific abilities and taught by experts.
- Culture of Learning: Employees can take a variety of self-paced classes. This allows an organization to promote education affordably. For companies that want to focus on development opportunities, this is one option.
- Increased Efficiency: By giving workers the chance to improve skills, they become more efficient at their job. With competencies in new technology, it allows for more automation. Given the fast rate at which jobs change in the modern era, this can be a time and money saver for an organization.
- Happier Workforce: One of the top requests for employees is the ability to learn new skills and grow in their jobs. Through a course library, they can expand, meet their career goals and feel better about their place of employment.
Udemy was one of the first Massive Open Online Course platforms to exist. It was cofounded by Eren Bali, Gagan Biyani and Oktay Caglar. Bali grew up in a small Turkish village with a one-room schoolhouse. In college, he met cofounder Caglar. The two met Biyani in the networking program and startup incubator The Founder Institute where Biyani was looking for technical leads. They founded the organization in Silicon Valley where they received $1 million from angel investors in 2010. In 2012, the company raised $12 million for its Series B funding. Bali and Caglar also worked at the startup SpeedDate where Bali was the Director of Engineering. Biyani wrote for TechCrunch, worked as a Growth Advisor at Lyft and founded the failed startup Sprig.
In terms of industry-wide recognition, the solution has been recognized as a leader in several reports such as, “The Global Machine Learning Courses Market 2020-2026,” and “Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025).” The platform has also shown growth in India where the web learning movement is burgeoning according to, “Online Education Market in India Worth INR 360 Billion by 2024, Exhibiting a CAGR of ~43%,” from ResearchAndMarkets.com.
- Class Creation and Management: The solution allows teachers to manage and create lectures, text, multimedia, slides, videos and additional resources bundled together for lessons. It also offers testing and assignment options like quizzes, practice tests and coding exercises. The license for courses never expires and learners can finish at their own pace.
- Instructor Capabilities: Instructors can sell their classes through the solution and get paid through PayPal or Payoneer when students enroll. They can design lessons to help people advance skills, upgrade careers or explore hobbies. The platform also offers training that details how to build units, curriculum pages, an instructor dashboard and others. Last, it includes the ability for students to connect with instructors via messaging, Q&As and announcements. Instructors own all the rights to the class material.
- Devices: It can operate on laptops, desktops, tablets and mobile. The app works for both iOS and Android. By downloading classes, users can watch them offline and view them with Chromecast or Apple TV.
- Certification: When users complete paid classes, they get a certification of completion for reimbursement, showcasing their talent or simple bragging rights. Certifications aren’t available for free courses, or ones that only have practice exams.
- Affiliates: The platform promotes an affiliate program for organizations or individuals who want to promote courses on their blog or website. Users make a commission for each sale.
- IT and Tech: For workers looking to expand their IT skills, they can take courses in IT AWS certification, ethical hacking, hardware, networking, operating systems, security and others. It also provides information needed for IT certification like Microsoft Azure, Cisco CCNA, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Security+, Windows Server and others.
- Marketing: It teaches useful competencies for marketing in areas such as copywriting, digital marketing, Facebook ads and marketing, Google AdWords, Instagram marketing, SEO, social media marketing and more.
- Design: The subjects covered in design classes are animation and 3D, architectural design, fashion, game design, graphic design, interior design, user experience and web design.
- Business: It offers courses that cover communication, entrepreneurial skills, finance, management, Microsoft Power BI, project management, sales, stock trading, strategic thinking and others.
- Music Education: The music classes include music fundamentals, instruments, production, software, techniques, vocals and others.
- Health and Fitness: Some health and wellness offerings include art therapy, aromatherapy, CBT dance, dieting, first aid, fitness, general health, herbalism, massage, meditation, mental health, nutrition, safety, self-defense, sports and yoga.
- Teaching & Academics: Some courses in this subject are calculus, engineering, English, German, humanities, IELTS, Japanese, math, online ed, science, Spanish, test prep and more.
- Office Productivity: For users looking to increase efficiency and get trained in key office tech, the solution offers classes in Data Analysis, Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft and others.
- Finance & Accounting: The courses in the finance subject include accounting, blockchain, bookkeeping, compliance, cryptocurrency, day trading, economics, finance certification, financial modeling, investing, money management, taxes and more.
- Lifestyle: It offers several classes that apply to a broader life category such as arts and crafts, beverage and food, beauty, gaming, home improvement, makeup, neuro-linguistic programming, pet care, pet training, portraiture, travel and others.
- Personal Development: The solution covers other skills from various fields. Subjects range from health and wellness, increasing learning and memory or financial issues. Some course categories include energy healing, life coaching, memory, mindfulness, neuro-linguistic programming, reiki, speed reading, stock trading and technical analysis.
- Udemy for Business: For organizations looking for ways to host corporate training, this coexisting platform is an option. It can host company training, create learning paths for employees and provides over 2,000 courses. For more information, see its separate product page on our site.
LimitationsSome of the product limitations include:
- No analytics for organizations that want a broader look at company learning or skill gaps
- Instructors own their content, but can’t control refund policies or the platform at large
- It’s unaccredited, courses don’t transfer into college credit
- Some classes may be low quality, given the vast breadth of offerings
Udemy Suite Support
Users have access to a help website with FAQs, a guide for downloading classes and a few answers for the most common problems. For troubleshooting and specific issues, individuals can fill out a form on the website to create a ticket. Otherwise, there is an Instructor Support Team specifically for the teachers who create courses.
mail_outlineEmail: There’s no general-purpose email for support.
phonePhone: The website doesn’t list a customer service email.
schoolTraining: Teachers have access to the Instructor Support Team and some classes that help them learn how to build online courses. The support team can also review videos for free.
local_offerTickets: Users can fill out a form on the internet to create a ticket.