What is Canvas?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries.
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Canvas
- Portfolios: Through Portfolium, it showcases the work of learners and has built-in analytics and assessment. Once this is complete, and the students’ skills are documented, it pairs with employers through the TalentMatch function.
- E-Commerce: The Catalog option allows for the buying and selling of courses/training. It also centralizes personal development classes, handles certifications and creates landing pages.
- Peer-to-Peer Video: Instructors and their classes can respond with video, give feedback along the timeline and share content with other learners.
- SSO: The single sign-on lets teachers access the system through other tech that they already access.
- Reliability: It offers a Service Level Agreement that is accessible through all in-network routing devices and IPs. They also guarantee a 99.9% uptime, less than an hour per month, for reseller hosting, shared hosting, and managed dedicated servers.
- SpeedGrader: It assesses the work of students, allows teachers to provide annotated feedback, automatically populates grade books and creates actionable reports.
- MOOC Hub: Classes can be offered as a massive open online course. It gives learners unlimited participation, access after the program ends and content that can be reused and shared without a license.
- Preferred Communications: Users can choose their favorite method of contact, whether that is text, email or push notification. They also choose if the notification comes instantly, daily, weekly or can opt-out altogether.
- Common Core: It automatically imports several Common Core standards.
- Multimedia Capabilities: It allows students and instructors to share video, audio and images either as content or in response. Users can make annotations as well as creating a collaborative space.
- Open Source: The source code is open to everyone making it easier to customize or advance for those with very specific needs.
- Multiple Languages: It has 24 languages available, including English, Spanish, Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Maori, Russian and more.
- Shareable Data: Teachers and administrators can easily trade data and create reports to better assess their pedagogy, quizzes and more.
- Blended Learning: It combines online learning with face-to-face lessons.
- Consulting Services: Through different support packages, it offers consulting services for implementation, content strategy, product training, education strategy and custom technical issues.
- Integrations: It allows integrations with programs that manage calendars, course imports/cartridges, web services, social media, education modules, multimedia and collaboration functions.
- Flexible Pedagogy: Instructors can design classes around their preferred learning methods. That could mean standards-based grading, traditional grading, flipped learning, project-based learning or another method.
- Skill Gaps: It gives teachers automatic notifications and methods to deal with at-risk populations.
- Employee Performance & Development: Through Instructure’s Bridge, many capabilities are also available for the corporate world. This includes management for engagement, peer-to-peer connections, education, performance, career development and manager engagement.
- Mobile: In addition to its responsive design, its app allows for use across multiple devices.
Canvas SupportHelp for users is directed through the institution, which may have tier 1 help desk IT support depending on the plan purchased. This could be available to administrators, faculty or students themselves. All users can access the dashboard help option where, depending on their permissions, they can reach instructors, search guides, report problems, submit ideas or access training videos and courses.
While there are general phone numbers listed by region, it seems that going through email or the help button on the dashboard is the preferred method. There is also a community help website and an overview question and answer section.
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Based on 2817 reviews: