What is Zenefits?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Zenefits is a cloud-based suite of tools that enables companies to manage HR, payroll and benefits from a central platform. The solution is targeted at small and mid-sized businesses.
Users can view the company’s structure via a dynamic org chart, which gives a real-time picture that shows changes to titles, contact info and other system updates. An employee directory centralizes information to facilitate easy collaboration.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use Zenefits?
Key differentiators & advantages of Zenefits
- Reduce Manual Work: You can create approval workflows that make daily tasks more efficient to complete. Workflows can apply to any employee changes, such as promotions, terminations and new hires. Managers can make requests, but system admins control the final decision.
- Gain Intelligent Insights: Everyone from executives to administrators can access reports, with permission settings available to maintain security. A variety of pre-built reports show metrics for turnover, compensation, equal opportunity and more. You also have the option to build custom reports that pull the KPIs most important to your company. Zenefits’ real-time nature ensures all data is accurate and up-to-date.
- Give Employees Control: Employee self-service (ESS) allows employees to manage their information — everything from viewing pay stubs to updating benefits elections.
- Foster Employee Well-Being: Zenefits partners with Thrive Global to give your organization access to well-being tools. Assessments help you spot problems and monitor progress. The results trigger recommended content and training from Thrive to address each employee’s needs.
- Provide Mobile Access: Native apps for iOS and Android give users the ability to take Zenefits on the go. Benefits information, pay stubs, a company directory, a time clock for hourly employees and a task inbox are among the features. Employees can view and request time off in a few steps. Admin capabilities support processes for performance reviews, payroll, time off and more.
- Meet Compliance Obligations: A range of tools ensures your organization stays compliant with regulations such as ACA. This includes built-in explanations, configuration suggestions based on company data, e-filing for forms, compliance status visibility, offboarding features, ERISA data storage and more. The solution also collects all information related to payroll and taxes. The Compliant Assistant feature lets you set and track deadlines, manage tasks and access a resource center.
- Connect to Other Platforms: With Zenefits, you can connect to third-party apps for ATS, productivity, 401K, expense management, employee engagement, learning and development, accounting, and more. Apps include G Suite, Slack, OnPay, Salesforce, Office 365, Box, QuickBooks, Lessonly, Asana and Zapier.
Zenefits serves more than 11,000 SMBs across all 50 states. You can find it in industries such as travel, education, marketing, technology, retail and the nonprofit space.
- Payroll: The system automatically files taxes, adds new employees to the payroll and prorates the first paycheck, and constantly updates to reflect changes anywhere else in Zenefits. It also has a payroll timeline and enables payroll to be run in three clicks.
- Zenefits Pay Connect: Zenefits supports external payroll systems via this feature. It automatically syncs the platform’s data with your provider. All changes are compiled into a checklist for full visibility into what’s been updated, allowing you to make manual updates if needed.
- Benefits Administration: The platform supports medical, dental and vision benefits, along with life and disability insurance. It also comes with commuter benefits, COBRA administration, workers comp and the ability to offer employees FSA and HSA. Zenefits connects with hundreds of carriers and provides filters for easy comparison. Employees can view and manage their information from a dashboard.
- Time Management: A dashboard shows real-time updates of clock-in and clock-out times, as well as hours worked per pay period. The TimeKeeper iPad app protects against fraud by taking pictures of employees when they check in or out. Other capabilities include configuration of time off policies, process workflows, calendar views, single click approvals, and employee self-service for taking sick days and requesting time off.
- Performance Management: This feature includes goal management, a meeting tool, action items and performance tracking. You can conduct several types of reviews, such as peer and 360-degree, with pre-built templates and the ability to customize questions.
- Zenefits Documents: This app provides document management tools. You can view employee documents in a central location and drill down for more details. It’s equipped with in-product guidance, filters, categorization and uploading functionality. Integration with the rest of the platform enables document filing and updating.
- Hiring & Onboarding: The system completes all hiring activities without the need for physical paperwork. It allows new employees to manage the onboarding process, supports reminder emails, runs background checks and syncs a new hire’s information across the entire suite to eliminate dual entry. A template tool lets you build offer letters.
Zenefits Suite Support
The Customer Care team can be reached from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. PST. The available packages are Standard, Premium and Premium+. Zenefits also offers several types of support for customers, including implementation and broker services, along with the option to work directly with HR and/or payroll experts. Qualified customers receive access to a designated Customer Success Manager. For self-service options, users can access the customer community, along with the Help Center, which contains videos and more than 5,000 articles.
mail_outlineEmail: Email support and live chat are included as part of the Customer Care packages.
phonePhone: Phone support is included as part of the Customer Care packages.
schoolTraining: Zenefits provides a range of educational content. There are online tutorials, courses on setting up the platform and just-in-time training that covers specific tasks. Users have 24/7 access to the course catalog.
Top Competitors & Alternatives
Relevant articles for Zenefits
Pricing for HR Management Software
The following reviews for Zenefits are taken from the SelectHub ReviewFeed which collects and aggregates reviews from across a variety of online review platforms.
Good at capturing employee benefits and time off information
I'm not sure my company uses the software and the full suite of integrations possible with Zenefits but I have enjoyed using the platform to track and manage employee time off as well as look up benefit information. They also have a unique link that I can share with potential employees to give them insight into how much benefits through my company may cost. Has been helpful software at my current and previous companies.
I think the navigation throughout the software can be pretty cumbersome. It's not always an intuitive flow to get where I want to navigate to on the website.
Easy to Use for Profiles and Benefits
I love the look and feel of this product, as well as how easy it is to view the hierarchy of my company and click to find employee details. It makes finding an extension number of coworkers or who to talk to if they're out of the office super easy. Requesting time off or working from home is easy and I love that I can track it back to the beginning of my tenure here.
The reporting is off for PTO. The roll-up number on the main page includes Work From Home days, which skews the number, and the history view is very hard to follow, has no filters, and doesn't differentiate between what years PTO is for/used, so it can throw off counts.
The New Way to HR
Love how Zenefits is cloud-based, eliminating the need to download software directly to the computer. Also a big fan of the simplification of onboarding--new hires can complete and sign documents online, and it is processed automatically. Reduces the headcount of HR and simplifies everything for a lean team to take over with ease.
As with many elements of the benefits process, changes are plentiful due to changing regulations and laws. The software responds to these changes, which is good, but sometimes the need to learn something new is difficult.
Running a small business, we don't quite have the resources for a fully-dedicated HR staff. Our HR team of 2 uses Zenefits for everything HR-related, from onboarding, to benefits, to exit. From a cost-benefit perspective, the benefits far outweigh the costs and I'm glad we started using this software.