What is BambooHR?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
BambooHR is an HRMS designed for small and medium-sized businesses and provides solutions for organizations in all industries. Based in the cloud, it streamlines data collection throughout the employee lifecycle, warehousing relevant information in a centralized database making it easily accessible to both managers and individual employees.
It facilitates hiring, onboarding, compensation administration, performance management, provides employee self-service capabilities and everything in-between. It allows organizations to make customizations, set multiple administrators and maintain inactive employees.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use BambooHR?
Key differentiators & advantages of BambooHR
- Apps Marketplace: The apps marketplace serves as a platform for BambooHR’s official partners to market integrations and other solutions that are compatible with the platform, providing users with a unified location to find add-ons that make BambooHR a more robust solution.
- Employee Self Service: The system allows employees to log directly into the platform to view their personal information, including time-off balances, benefits information or the employee directory. Administrators can set reminders for employees in the dashboard to notify individuals when they have documents ready to e-sign or other tasks to complete.
- Ensure Privacy: Administrators can set permissions to allow employees to view and edit their personal information while restricting access to other sensitive data. This ensures that all individual employee information is kept private and protects important company information from employees who don’t need to see it.
- Live Support: Customers have access to live chat and live phone support Monday through Friday, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- Progress Tracking: The system’s Workflow Completion Bar provides visibility into the progress of individual projects and activities, allowing administrators to oversee workflows and approvals, as well as which individuals have completed them.
- Security and Peace of Mind: BambooHR guarantees enterprise-level data security for any data that is housed within their system, ensuring compliance for organizations with security needs.
- Self Onboarding: Administrators can enable employees to e-sign and complete documents as well as enter their own information to streamline the onboarding process and free-up managers to focus on other important tasks. Employees and new-hires can also send introduction emails to meet team members before the newest employee even starts their first shift.
Founded in 2008, BambooHR specializes in HR software for small and medium-sized businesses in all industries, serving more than 10,000 businesses globally. BambooHR provides products for measuring people analytics, hiring, onboarding new employees, compensation administration and full-service HR packages that integrate a variety of these offerings. Almost 90% of BambooHR’s customers have used BambooHR’s services for more than 10 years.
- Applicant Tracking System (ATS): The ATS allows recruiters to post jobs to popular job sharing sites and social media. It can send alerts to notify recruiters as candidates move through the application process and leverage in-app messaging features to answer candidate questions directly.
- Guarantee Compliance: BambooHR’s built-in overtime compliance feature checks overtime regulations in all 50 states and territories, ensuring compliance.
- Benefits Administration: BambooHR provides the option to set a variable rate health plan or enable users to sync with Maxwell Health, a third-party benefits administration outsourcer.
- Calendars: The system can generate a “Who’s Out” calendar to track which employees are out on sick leave or PTO. This feature integrates with popular third-party calendar apps such as Google Calendar, iCalendar and Outlook Calendar, enabling employees to synchronize their devices so they can easily view who will be available and when.
- Custom Workflows: BambooHR enables users to build custom workflows for data-entry that allow different individuals to be assigned to tasks and to enter information. Enable up to five different individuals to make changes and approve workflows.
- Employee Reviews: BambooHR’s anonymous scorecard allows employees to evaluate the workplace to gauge employee satisfaction and boost employee engagement. This feature combines eNPS and intelligent feedback analysis to gauge all aspects of the employee experience.
- Inbox Notifications: Alerts notify managers when an employee submits a time-off request and reminds managers when they need to take action, such as approving or denying these requests.
- Mobile Capability: Mobile capabilities allow users to receive benefits of the system even when they aren’t sitting in front of a computer. Android and iOS-compatible apps allow employees to view time-off balances, request time-off, view company directories, contact employees via direct message and more, all directly through the app.
- Offboarding Alerts: It can send reminders to system administrators and managers to ensure that all aspects of the offboarding process are completed before an employee leaves their position and it’s too late.
- Performance Management Integration: BambooHR offers a performance management add-on feature that allows employees to leave peer reviews so they can provide more robust evaluations. This feature facilitates peer reviews through an objective feedback questionnaire. It allows managers to evaluate and compare employee performance on an individual and departmental level as well as across the entire company.
- Streamlined Reporting: A library of pre-built reports allow users to quickly generate a variety of reports including EEO-1 reports. Users can set custom permissions to keep confidential information safe and then share reports with an unlimited number of individuals for review.
- Time-Off Calculator: Employees can check their current PTO balances, see any upcoming time off that they have scheduled and make PTO calculations with the in-app calculator to determine how much PTO they will accrue in the future.
- Time Tracking: The time tracking add-on allows employees to clock-in and clock-out for shifts as well as view their timesheets. This module also features alerts that remind employees and managers to keep their timesheets up-to-date with accurate hours and approve timecards when necessary.
While BambooHR is a robust solution with many benefits and useful features, no solution is perfect. When considering purchasing any HR product, it’s important to consider the limitations and drawbacks of the platform. Some of BambooHR’s limitations include:
- BambooHR does not provide in-house payroll processing and management
- The ATS feature does not allow users to conduct keyword searches on resumes
- Users cannot customize templates
- BambooHR does not provide custom report filters
- The native mobile apps do not provide access to benefits data
- BambooHR does not provide a self-hosting option that allows users to install and customize the system on their own internal servers
BambooHR Suite Support
mail_outlineEmail: Live chat support is available Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Users can contact support by logging into their account.
phonePhone: Support experts are available by phone Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. at (866) 387-9595.
schoolTraining: BambooHR offers a variety of self-learning resources on their website, including research materials, blog articles, webinars and a robust content library.
local_offerTickets: Support tickets can be submitted by logging into the platform.
User Satisfaction i
Based on 1724 reviews:
Top Competitors & Alternatives
Relevant articles for BambooHR
Pricing for HR Management Software
The following reviews for BambooHR are taken from the SelectHub ReviewFeed which collects and aggregates reviews from across a variety of online review platforms.
It's very easy to just have it on your desktop and clock in and out. I also like having the ability to look at my time sheets.
There's not really any cons. It does it's job pretty well.
Bamboohr makes our employee management better
Something that we have found really attractive bamboohr is its management for time off. The information can be organized based on a detailed directory of employees, which is integrated into several org charts. It is good for benefit tracking.
Among the few disadvantages of bamboohr is the one that does not work with self-service portals, and that the curricular summaries cannot be filtered, so in the case of large companies, the work is much slower.
The most recommended for those who use or are thinking of using bamboohr is to learn everything necessary about standardized workflows, so as not to have problems in its creation. It is recommended to integrate bamboohr to online document storage services.
HR Platform is User Friendly
Comes both with expected features and some that are unexpected but nice to have. An HR organization using several different systems for pay, posting jobs, etc could benefit like we did by integrating into one. Good interface and easy to learn features for new HR managers
Interface isn't that sexy, but that doesn't matter much when it's fast and easy, which it is
Bamboo has it all and is worth the investment