What is Maximo?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Maximo
- Energy and Utilities Speciality: Access pre-built data models and tailored dashboards for energy and utilities. Analyze operational data to visualize asset health and view scoring models to determine risk factor. Monitor critical assets, asset health and failure predictions.
- IoT Platform: Store IoT data for 30 days and get an overview on all assets. Access sensor, consumer, enterprise and industrial entities, with alerts to detect when asset data reaches or falls below set thresholds.
- Efficient Scheduling: View a graphic representation of work orders and PM schedules. Manage shutdowns, outages, maintenance and other large projects across multiple locations. Check the status and schedules of multiple projects on the dashboard and accomplish end-to-end work management.
- Linear Asset Management: Gain visual control over assets like roads, pipeline, rail lines and transmission lines. Track labor, materials, tools and asset conditions by linear measures.
- Managed Service Provider: Manage customer agreements, service deliveries, billing and supplier contracts. Decide response plans, billing and price schedules as well as create bill batches for recurring costs.
- Improved Safety: Manage safety, reliability and environment performance in compliance with regulations. Prepare for audits and surveys, catch defects, investigate incidents, and define lockout and tagout operations.
- Asset Configuration: Manage near-real-time configuration of assets like aircraft and rail vehicles. Access technical records, create task cards that prompt manual reviews and get automatic displays of a record’s status.
- Calibration: Stay on top of calibration history, data sheets, reporting, and all the requirements for traceability and reverse traceability.
- Spatial Asset Management: Visualize and locate assets, locations, work orders and service requests on maps.
- Data Visibility: Ensure all data is visible to all parties with IBM Maximo Registry, which stores a subset of transaction data entered on blockchain.
- Equipment Maintenance Assistant: Support asset management programs with artificial intelligence.
- Mobility: Multiple mobile apps supporting role-specific tasks in the work management process are available on Android and iOS. Available online and offline, they provide flexible access to work orders, inventory, asset data management, work approvals, barcode capabilities and more.
- Asset Management: Manage asset operations, conditions, work centers, applications and inventory. Give restricted access to the system and menu options.
- System Administration: Provides a framework to share items and data as well as manage communication templates. Includes site and organization setup, bulletin boards, classification hierarchies for assets, locations and work orders, query tickets, item type configuration, and a calendar to track labor, activities and equipment working time.
- Asset Lifecycle Management: Stores information like asset number, location, parent and vendor, as well as tracks asset location and arranges them in a logical hierarchy. Also helps:
- Define physical features like guard rails and mile markers and associate those features with one or more linear assets.
- Add or modify meter names and sets of attributes that define the meter.
- Define multiple measuring points, specify alarm limits and set acceptable meter readings.
- Build and construct failure hierarchies and understand root problems.
- Analytics: View scheduled reports and monitor KPIs to analyze the maintenance and lifecycle of assets.
- Task and Activity Management: Plan, review and manage tasks, activities and work orders.
- Contracts Management: Manage labor, purchases, leases, pricing, warranties, rental, service and software contracts. Includes blanket and master contracts, rule definition for each type, and a historical view of contracts.
- Financial Management: Define and set currency codes and exchange rates, set general ledger account fields and track project costs to determine the resources needed for project execution.
- Integration: Connect with enterprise systems and set up flows between apps. Supports multiple communication modes, UI-based integration, and bulk export and import of data.
- IT Infrastructure Management: Specify rules for creation and management of relationships between configuration items. Offers service requests, incidents and work orders as well as grants full control over records like items, assets and location configurations.
- Inventory Management: Provides data entry via barcode, service item records, tool records, item grouping, supplier lists, pick lists and more. Also helps:
- Create and manage information about stocked, non-stocked and special order items.
- See when an item is below a specified level with notifications.
- Store information on item locations and view stocked items in the storeroom.
- Job Planning Management: Manage plans, detail work descriptions and view assets that require a stop during inspection or maintenance checks.
- Preventive Maintenance: Account for labor, materials, service and tools to better plan, manage, budget and schedule regular maintenance. Master records provide a template for future maintenance.
- Purchase Management: Features include purchase processing, requests for quotations and invoices. Stores information about companies that make purchases, enables buying materials from suppliers and vendors, and matches invoices to POs and receipts.
- Safety Management: Define hazards and safety precautions to prevent a workplace mishap with plans that explain how to take work assets in and out of service.
- Security Management: Controls access to sites, applications and menu options. Employees can be in one or more security groups.
- Service Request Management: Create requests for configuration, change of an asset and equipment repair. Requests show status and correspondence for better visibility.
- Service Desk Management: Oversee processes and save work performed in the asset’s record. Templates help standardize common service requests and incidents.
- Release Module: Enables task and activity management. Provides classification and attributes for categorization, PM and scheduling details, task assignment, follow-up records, work logs, communication entries, and requirements for labor, services, materials and tools.
- Task Management: Offers activities, tasks, work orders and historical records of work performed.
- Work Orders: Available for assets and locations and includes the number of hours worked by contractors or employees. Report on open work orders or small jobs and capture the history of work orders.
- AI-Powered Asset Monitoring: Monitors remote assets and operations, automates task execution, and performs anomaly detection. Also provides:
- Customizable monitoring dashboard.
- Rule-based alerts for data tied to specific standards and KPIs.
- Data filtering and root cause analysis based on hierarchies.
- IoT data for processing, direct access, historical storage and archiving.
- Alerts to produce events and create service requests.
- Asset Health Insights: Manage the health of assets using IoT data, work history and asset data. Offers:
- Health scores, real-time sensor data and alerts from SCADA systems.
- Maintenance history, weather incidents and subcomponents with historical context.
- Integration with PM systems to access data and manage maintenance schedules.
- Predictive Maintenance Insights: Manage future failures and determine asset failure factors that could affect operations. Capabilities include:
- IBM Watson, which scans for patterns in usage, environment and other asset-specific data to predict future failures.
- Data provided by IoT sensors, OT, ERP and EAM systems.
- Predictive model templates, visualizations and a library of analytics APIs to build custom models.
- Machine learning and analytics for operational data generated by critical assets.
- Prescriptive analytics and anomalous behavior detection.
- Workers Insights: Offers dashboards, interacting reporting tools, data export, filters and configurable shield parameters. Includes predefined and customized shields that help detect if a worker’s life might be in danger. Tracks data such as:
- Hazards and statistics of hazards via a map.
- Averages and counts for workers, hours and hazards.
- The location of an object or a worker through beaconOS and GPS.
- MRO Inventory Optimization: Includes:
- Part and stock management using automation and analytics.
- Inventory segmentation based on criticality and business impact of MRO spares and materials, along with inventory value calculated based on inherited items, average cost and other criteria.
- Lead time tracking to manage asset downtime.
- Reports, dashboards and KPIs for all important metrics.
- Configuration of work queues and screens.
- Column-oriented databases, summarization engines and elastic searches to filter, sort and update records.
- Migration Tool: Transfer product customizations and configuration from development to production for testing. Access a standard rollout environment and repeatable rollout processes that help in monitoring, documenting and managing regulatory compliance.
- Storeroom Management:
- Monitors item availability, records physical counts and balances inventory.
- Offers details on cost, issue and order units.
- Reconciles recent physical count after every completed transaction.
- Includes parent and child storerooms to create hierarchies.
- Supports adding multiple items to a hierarchy and reordering items from a single storeroom.
- Service Requests: Features include notifications upon completion or close of a request, multimedia support to upload photos and videos, and resolution monitoring. A security group template grants users access to service requests, work centers, tools and tasks.
- Managing Inspection Forms: Offers specific questions to choose from, revisions to active forms by adding conditions, templates for reuse, and the ability to edit questions and instructions. Forms can be associated with assets, locations and work orders.
- Business Analysis Work Center: Analyze work efficiency, supply rates, inventory balance and more to improve operation and user performance. View the analyzed data in charts and download it in an image format.
- Data Set Designer: Includes filters and sorting to configure content and build sets, which can have an application query applied to them. Supports exporting in CSV format.
- Application Analysis: Enhances operations with queries for situations like overdue POs and upcoming reactive work. Incorporates KPI tracking, Query by Example and export to Excel for further analysis.
- Reports and Dashboards: Embedded reporting offers more than 100 report types, which can be customized, saved, shared and downloaded. Dashboards summarize business data while storybooks format content in useful ways. Access to Cognos BI provides advanced business intelligence capabilities.
- IBM App Connect: This ready-to-go connector enables integration with distributed databases, infrastructure environments and hundreds of third-party business systems such as JIRA, Salesforce, SAP, QuickBooks and Workday.
- Can’t view planned jobs in a preferred order.
- Steep learning curve.
- Delay in alert notifications.
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Synopsis of User Ratings and Reviews
Based on an aggregate of reviews taken from the sources above, the following pros & cons have been curated by a SelectHub Market Analyst.
IBM Maximo Asset Management helps users perform preventive repairs to extend asset lifespans, monitor assets and equipment, manage contracts, and control inventory. It excels in asset management, tracking and reports. With an intuitive design, plenty of integrations and a high degree of customization, it provides flexibility and ease so users can get the most out of it. However, the UI can be difficult for new users and the cost for licensing is on the higher end. Reviews also cited difficulty with attachments and a complex implementation process as drawbacks. Overall, it’s a good fit for businesses looking for a CMMS with plenty of features that go far beyond asset management.