Distributors have a tough job — whether it be coordinating with vendors, measuring inventory or preparing efficient shipping methods, the process is extremely detailed and is prone to human error. Fortunately, there are cloud distribution software options available to help coordinate operations among your staff, vendors and customers.
It’s a horrible feeling when your hard work is derailed by one unfortunate typo. In some circumstances, keying errors could be dangerous or even fatal. In a 2016 study, researchers found typos in 57 percent of sampled prescriptions. Fortunately, errors like these are more easily avoidable with the use of distribution software. Cloud-based distribution software can automate functions that typically require heavy user data input, therefore reducing opportunities for mistakes.
Software can be obtained in two ways — through on-premise installation or via the cloud. There are pros and cons to each of these methods, which we will examine in this article along with some important factors to consider when choosing software and a list of the best cloud distribution software.
What Is Cloud Distribution Software?
Cloud distribution software is a cloud-based solution (often falling under enterprise resource planning (ERP) software) that serves as an effective means of automating and streamlining your day-to-day operations. For example, you might use distribution software to keep track of your warehouse inventory and to automatically organize where items should be stocked based on which items are frequently purchased together. The software could then select the most cost-effective container to ship the package in.
Compare Top Distribution Software Leaders
Ultimately, this software is used to organize and coordinate the many steps involved in the distribution process. There are many variations of cloud based distribution software available, so before making a selection you should ask yourself a few questions about your software needs.
- What day-to-day processes are you looking to simplify? For example, are you hoping to automate the input of sales information to your accounting program? Make sure to write down these software needs and communicate them to the providers you are considering to ensure business alignment.
- How big is your company? Some software is more effective for small companies, and some works better for large organizations. The size of your company is an important factor to consider when selecting your software.
- How do you prefer to obtain your software? Both cloud-based and on-premise distribution solutions are available on the market. Getting your distribution software through the cloud may reduce installation costs. However, on-site installation is also still an option.
- What is your budget? Yes, talking about money can be seen as taboo, but you definitely don’t want to bite off more than you can chew when you’re selecting software. Distribution software is an investment, but it shouldn’t deplete your resources.
- What software/programs are you currently using? Make a list of your current technology portfolio and bring this to the table when you’re meeting with software companies. Depending on how you wish to integrate your current processes into your new software, you might need to get an open source distribution software.
What Are Some Features of Cloud-Based Distribution Software?
Distribution software features vary. This is why it is so important to create a list of specific software needs before making a selection. However, in general, distribution software may include the following:
Which Industries Benefit Most from Cloud Distribution Software?
Cloud distribution software is beneficial to a wide range of industries. Most software options are configurable and may even be open source so that you can integrate your current technology into your new software.
Also, cloud software is often more readily accessible to some companies than on-premise systems. Cloud-based products make it a lot easier for small and mid-sized companies to benefit from ERP distribution software. This is because cloud based distribution software is generally less expensive to set up than on-site software. Additionally, cloud-based products, with their low monthly fees, make it easier for some businesses to predict their expenses. Its usability is also appealing — you just need an internet connection, and you’re good to go.
Some of the industries that frequently take advantage of cloud distribution software include:
- Food and Beverage
What Is the Best Cloud Distribution Software?
As software becomes more readily accessible to various companies due to the proliferation of cloud-based solutions, more businesses are opting to receive their software via this deployment method. If you’ve decided that cloud-based distribution software is your preferred installation method, it’s now time to find one that fits your specific needs.
Our industry analysts have compiled a list of the five best cloud distribution software options on the market. Read on to learn more about the best software options available right now.