What is Tableau Server?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Tableau Server allows everyone in your organization to see and understand proprietary data. It helps users create and share visualizations as well as highlight business opportunities in a secure environment. The exploration tools allow users to bring meaning to the information your company already owns and discover answers in record time. Its scalable architecture lets it grow with your organization.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use Tableau Server?
Key differentiators & advantages of Tableau Server
- Multiple Data Source Connectors: Connects to various types of data sources and blends them into the users’ own database. Some of these sources include MySQL, Oracle, SAP, Salesforce, Hadoop, Hive, NoSQL and more.
- Collaborative: Once users have created a visualization, they can share them with team members, clients and board members. Other users can comment on dashboards, so communication takes place directly on the visualization rather than through a string of emails.
- Data Investigation: Users can filter and explore data easily in multiple dimensions. They can highlight data to visualize, scroll into and out of data points (drill-down) and prep data for a clean, smooth visualization.
- Varied Visualizations: Offers a range of visualization options including bar graphs, interactive maps, pie charts, scattergrams and many more. Users can string these insights into a guided story format through the storyboard feature.
- Patterns and Trends: Users can apply these visualizations to glean insights and gain a better understanding of their business data. This also helps them make predictions, explain business decisions and ensure best practices.
- Better Business Decisions: By comparing historical data patterns to current ones and making predictions based on that information, users can make more informed, data-driven business decisions.
Industry ExpertiseServes all industries, but specializes in retail, financial services, hospitality, healthcare, education, transportation, e-commerce, food and beverage, advertising, technology, entertainment, science, and many more.
- Native Data Connectors: Lets users import all sizes and types of data from a range of sources like Oracle, MySQL, SAP, Hadoop, Salesforce, NoSQL, Hive and more.
- Drag-and-Drop: Users can drag and drop data points into the visualization dashboard, a feature that promotes a smooth, intuitive interface.
- Highlight or Filter Data: Filtering data lets users look at it in new ways, and highlighting related sets helps uncover insights.
- No-Code Data Queries: Natural language queries (NQL) let users perform searches without needing to code. Dashboards: Users can create, share, embed, comment on and customize their interactive dashboards.
- Security Permissions: Role-based access keeps users restricted to the levels of data they need to access to perform their jobs. This prevents data leaks, hacks and other security breaches.
Some of the product limitations include:
- Does not support data encryption
- Does not provide multi-location support
- The solution is not user-friendly, especially the report-builder
- Does not allow users to share datasets and requires a separate subscription package
- Requires IT support for integrations and other high-end tasks. Users cannot do this using tutorials or self-help videos on their own
Tableau Server Suite Support
All subscriptions provide access to Tableau’s standard support package. Extended or Premium support programs that offer accelerated response times and options are also available for an additional cost.
mail_outlineEmail: Only license support queries can be sent via email; all other tickets are accessed through the customer portal. To get the best response, customers should submit a web form or request through the user portal.
phonePhone: 24/7 phone support is available to premium support package subscribers for both priority 1 and priority 2 issues. Users can access this service through the user portal. Customer service (which does not provide technical support) can be reached by calling 1 206.633.3400.
schoolTraining: Subscribers can access a library of free training resources. Users can also enroll in both classroom and online training courses to receive live training courses at an additional cost.
local_offerTickets: To submit a service request, users can go through either the customer portal or the web form. To use the webform, users can type in a keyword that describes their problem (for example, “how to connect data source”). Then the query will search Tableau’s knowledge base to see if the question has been answered elsewhere. If so, it will offer users the relevant source page.
If users don’t find an answer to their problem, they can move on to the next step and “continue to create a case.” Users should fill out the required information in the description box using as much detail as possible. Make sure to include the priority or level of the issue; users can choose from “need information,” “minor,” “major” or “critical.” These levels are defined in the user guide and help customer service identify your problem’s priority to assist everyone in an equitable way.
To submit a customer portal ticket request, users can click on the “need help” section of the portal homepage then select either “product support” or “license support.” Choosing “license support” will give you a prompt to type your question into an email, then product support will send them to the same search bar mentioned above and they can proceed in the same manner.
Cost of Ownership for Tableau Server
|Maintenance Cost||An additional cost over and above the upfront cost has to be paid for ongoing support and maintenance|
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||Data Migration is possible in Tableau Server and can be done with the following tools - Tabcmd Script, REST API, TabMigrate and Enterprise Deployment Tool by InterWorks|
|Recurring/Renewal Costs||Renewal cost is equivalent to the fees paid annually, based on the number of users|