What is SPSS Statistics?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
IBM SPSS, or Statistical Product and Service Solutions, is a data analysis platform that provides advanced statistical insights to propel business decision-making and research by crunching large datasets. With a user-friendly interface, it empowers everyone from basic users to experienced data scientists to perform statistical analysis. Scalable and agile, it is suitable for companies of all sizes. Users can purchase it through an on-premises license or a subscription plan to a hybrid SaaS.
Users who choose either monthly or annual subscription receive access to the base version and can choose which of three optional add-ons to include, if any, between Custom Tables and Advanced Statistics, Complex Sampling and Testing and Forecasting and Decision Trees.
Perpetual and term licensees can choose between four editions that offer different levels of functionality: Base, standard, professional and premium. It was first launched as Statistical Package for the Social Sciences by three Stanford students in 1968 and later acquired by IBM in 2009.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use SPSS Statistics?
Key differentiators & advantages of SPSS Statistics
- Increase Reliability of Analysis: Ensuring high accuracy, it helps data analysts and scientists reach more dependable conclusions, backed by their numbers and models made from their data.
- Assists in Decision Making: The platform helps users organize and analyze data sets in order to draw conclusions and glean insights, ultimately aiding the users in making data-driven business decisions.
- Statistics with Speed: SPSS Statistics is an agile solution that maximizes productivity by quickly crunching data sets. IBM says it handles complicated tasks in a third of the time of many non-statistical programs.
- Data Management: The solution does all the legwork for users in preparing and organizing data sets for analysis. It can estimate and uncover missing values and improve the accuracy of reports.
- Ease of Use: According to the IBM website, 81% of reviewers rank SPSS as easy to use. It has a point-and-click interface and natural language processing, allowing its analytics capabilities to be accessible to users who may not have coding knowledge or know advanced statistics.
- Scalability: Built to scale and work with large volumes of data, SPSS can perform anything from basic descriptive analytics to advanced statistics simulations. Users also purchase as many user licenses as they need, allowing the solution to be cost-efficient for small businesses but still robust and affordable enough for large scale enterprises.
- Customized Predictive Analytics: The platform lets users tailor the predictive analytics platform to their unique needs and perform ad hoc analysis to find the information they need, making better predictions over time.
- Free Trial: Interested customers can access all SPSS Statistics capabilities with a free 14-day trial period.
- Academic Versions: IBM offers an academic version of the SPSS platform for that is optimized for usage in higher education and research. Program availability varies based on user roles, including students, teachers and researchers or campus-wide administrators.
SPSS allows for analysis in many different areas of expertise and specializes in delivering better outcomes in industries such as the social sciences, IT, higher education, market research, healthcare, survey companies, marketing, nonprofits, government agencies and retail.
- Data Source Connectivity: SPSS can read and write data from a wide spectrum of file formats and sources, including ASCII text files, spreadsheets and databases like Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access and those from other statistics packages.
- Data Preparation: SPSS streamlines the data preparation process. It can identify invalid values, view patterns of missing data and automate data preparation to analyze and clean up large data sets in a single step. Users can validate the accuracy of their analysis with a thorough, efficient data conditioning workflow.
- Point-and-Click Interface: SPSS allows users without coding knowledge to point-and-click their way through data analysis with drop-down menus and drag-and-drop functionality.
- Automated Analytics: Users can automate common tasks with SPSS syntax and can create customized data analyses that run using algorithms.
- Comprehensive Statistical Analysis: Users can perform many kinds of statistics test, including but not limited to linear and non-linear models, simulation modeling, bayesian statistics, custom tables, complex sampling, advanced and descriptive statistics, regression and more.
- Ad Hoc Analysis: Users can “slice and dice” their data by creating customized tables to dig deeper and better understand their data.
- Predictive Analytics: With functions like time series analysis, forecasting, neural networks and temporal causal modeling, SPSS uncovers complex relationships between variables. It uses probability distributions to simulate values and account for the uncertainty of the future. It improves predictive models with multilayer perception and radial basis function.
- Geospatial Analysis: The software helps users explore the relationship between data points that can be tied to specific locations.
- Direct Marketing: This module allows users to improve their campaigns and target key customers. It conducts advanced statistics analysis of users’ customers or contacts with RFM (recency, frequency, monetary) analysis.
- Open-Source Integration: Users can enhance the SPSS syntax with programming languages R and Python through a library of more than 100 free extensions on the IBM Extension Hub, or they can opt to build their own programs.
- Export with Ease: Users can export their data to a proprietary file format, while can be exported to a variety of widely accessible formats such as text, Microsoft Word, PDF, Excel, HTML, XML, XLS and more. Users can also export to a variety of graphic image formats.
LimitationsSome of the product limitations include:
- Add-on modules - Custom Tables and Advanced Statistics, Complex Sampling and Testing and Forecasting and Decision Trees - must be purchased in addition to the base subscription and cannot be used with the student version.
- Lacks in terms of graphical capability. User reviews say that the output graphics are not up to publication quality and have scope for improvement. The graphics tools are basic and not visually appealing or easily customizable.
- Proprietary output files (.spo and .spv) are generally not backwards compatible.
SPSS Statistics Suite Support
mail_outlineEmail: Users cannot email support directly. For help, users can either live chat with a chatbot or representative on the IBM Support website. For feedback-related emails, users can email [email protected]
phonePhone: Users can contact support at 1-800-IBM-7378.
schoolTraining: The IBM Skills Gateway offers a huge library of training resources including documentation, training courses, in-person classes, videos and more. Users can track their learning and earn certifications and digital badges. Some courses, or Learning Journeys, are available at no cost, but many require a digital learning subscription to access. IBM training is also offered through a wide range of third-party providers.
local_offerTickets:Before submitting a ticket, users should navigate the support search bar to see if their issue has been resolved in other resources. If no solution can be found through this method, users can open a support case by logging into their user account on the IBM Support site.
SPSS Statistics Reviews
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
User Sentiment i
Based on 1353 reviews: