What is MicroStrategy?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of MicroStrategy
- Maximize Business Insights: Get a clearer picture of your data, revealing efficiencies — and deficiencies. Connect to and blend data from all your sources, leveraging machine learning capabilities, so that you can make key decisions with confidence.
- Speed and Performance: Accelerate response times on data queries and increase productivity. Improve performance at a database level, as the platform optimizes resource usage and limits demanding tasks.
- User-Friendly: Easily peruse and navigate through insights via a streamlined and familiar interface accessible to users of all skill levels.
- Seamless Integration: Integrate into a data ecosystem that has been developed organically, so that every piece works with others seamlessly from end-to-end with a unified architecture that also integrates with leading technology systems and open-source tools.
- Improve Communication: Collaborate on insights, discuss data points and generate and share with others. Increase user adoption and encourage a more intelligent enterprise.
- Enterprise Mobility: Do more than just access reports on-the-go — build information-rich mobile apps and put BI in the hands of a mobilized workforce.
- Scalability: Handle massive datasets without limitations and rapidly scale deployment, whether supporting a small team of users or an enterprise with thousands of employees.
- Quick Deployment: Select the deployment solution that best matches your needs: commercial or private cloud, on-premises or hybrid deployment. With pre-configured provisioning consoles for Azure and AWS, launch the platform in minutes with minimal effort.
- Free Trial: Sign up for MicroStrategy’s free 30-day full platform trial.
- Data Preparation: Wrangle and parse data in a process that automatically recommends, profiles and transforms data without needing to export it to a spreadsheet. Save data transformations for repeatable data preparation workflows.
- Federated Analytics: Leverage existing investments in trusted data sources like Tableau, Qlik and Power BI, blend information from multiple systems and build reports and insights without giving up any self-service BI solutions. Supercharge Excel sheets to analyze spreadsheets from within the interface.
- Enterprise Semantic Graph: Establish an index of all data assets that integrates and embeds everywhere, enriching data silos with location intelligence and real-time telemetry, enabling greater organization-wide data visibility and integrity.
- Data Visualization: Deploy data visualizations through branded, interactive user experiences, with customizable, user-friendly dossiers and dashboards, data discovery and personalized reports. Quickly build meaningful dashboards through prebuilt grids, graphs, charts and map templates combined with advanced user controls and third-party integrations.
- Big Data: Leverage existing big data investments through MicroStrategy’s open cloud architecture, including sources like Amazon, Google and Microsoft, as well as SQL, MDX, NoSQL and Hadoop technologies. Operationalize data lakes with the power of analytics, resulting in greater flexibility and greater visibility into your organization’s insights as a whole.
- HyperIntelligence: Let relevant and contextual insights find you right where you look — you don’t have to go looking for them. Find smarter answers to your questions in a flash, via zero-click extensions that integrate with websites, applications, Excel, email inboxes, Slack and more.
- Machine Learning: Drive intelligent, automated data discovery with advanced and predictive analytics powered by machine learning. Maximize the value of your data with AI-driven recommendations, voice-enabled assistant integration, natural language processing and more.
- Collaboration: Ask questions, ping colleagues with notifications in discussion threads, highlight patterns or call attention to specific data points by commenting directly within the UI. Share direct links via email, chat or directly invite others to a personalized view of a dossier.
- Personalization: Apply slice-and-dice filters to a dossier to find answers, then share that personalized view with others. Schedule and automate delivery of personalized reports across their enterprise through user preferences and security roles, ensuring that users see only the data relevant to them.
- Real-Time Alerts: Receive in-app, browser and mobile notifications that keep you up-to-date on KPIs, with native push notification functionality on the mobile app.
- Embedded Analytics: Extend the reach of their analytics with embedded analytical functionality in browsers and applications. Integrate into custom offerings with branding and white label tools. Enhance MicroStrategy with third-party capabilities.
- Digital Credentials: Ditch security vulnerabilities through plastic ID cards, passwords and tokens — digitize and modernize enterprise authentication with mobile role-based identity badges tied to users’ smartphones.
- Web and Mobile Apps: Access data from anywhere with an internet connection through cross-compatible mobile, web and desktop apps. Build, test and deploy your own apps that accelerate workflows.
- Does not apply machine learning techniques
- Does not support portal integration
- Is not able to point out issues in data
- Costly training modules
- High licensing fee in case of on-premise solution
Cost of Ownership
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Synopsis of User Ratings and Reviews
Based on an aggregate of reviews taken from the sources above, the following pros & cons have been curated by a SelectHub Market Analyst.
MicroStrategy is a strong contender in the enterprise BI market that its customers praise for a multitude of reasons: its robust drag-and-drop reporting tool, strong data visualizations and dashboards and accessibility through web and mobile apps. Overall, more than 87.5% of users said that the platform is easy to use, with a user-friendly drag-and-drop interface that eliminates the need for coding in SQL. However, the solution is not without its drawbacks, most notably a time-consuming implementation process. It also struggles with performance issues, with its reliance on powerful hardware often leading to slow-downs. All of the users for whom the price was an issue said that the solution is expensive, though some of these users said that it offered great value and that prospective buyers shouldn’t shy away from costs. Finally, when it comes to learning how to use the tool, around 80% of users found its learning curve quite steep, and available resources lacking. Some users note that the free online classes were nice, but offered more refresher information than useful, new information, and that the available education and documentation isn’t comprehensive or up-to-date. While the front-end is user-friendly, many users note that the back-end developer mode has an even steeper learning curve and is quite difficult to navigate.
In summary, MicroStrategy is a BI solution certainly worth consideration, especially for companies looking for a web-based tool with strong reporting capabilities and a user-friendly interface.
Based on 852 reviews:
Vijay Anand and Rich Rodgers continue to do a great job crafting MicroStrategy into a best-in-class BI tool for Advanced Analytics, Data Visualization, Reporting, Security and Connectivity. MicroStrategy clearly has a deep understanding of the business needs of end-user organizations.