What is Power BI?
Industry Specialties: Telecommunications, automotive, government, financial services, health, manufacturing, media and entertainment, retail, education and more.
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Power BI
- Live 360-Degree View of Data: Dashboards update in real time from all data sources, so users will never be out of the loop about crucial business information.
- Securely Share Insights: Microsoft is one of the largest, most well-known organizations in the world, and it comes with the security to back it up. Users can visit the Trust Center to learn more about exactly how all of Microsoft’s software — including Power BI — meet industry security standards and ensure regulatory compliance. This security is assured from the original data source all the way up through the report sharing and collaboration features, so users can rest easy knowing their information is secure.
- Visualize Data Trends: Once the system has parsed, structured and analyzed the specified data, it lets users create intuitive visualizations to present that data. This can be in the form of graphs, charts, maps or other graphic depictions that make it quicker, easier and more impactful to interpret an organization’s data.
- Make Data-Driven Decisions: Once users have these data visualizations, the next step is to put them to work. By analyzing not only what happened, but also why, how and where, users can adjust business plans, make forecasts and generally improve their business practices.
- Collaborate Across Organization: The sharing functions allow users to share reports and collaborate on decisions quickly. This saves time and money wasted on inefficient meetings and promotes teamwork throughout the different departments that will all be working on the project.
Any organization that wants to analyze their data to make more informed decisions can benefit from a business intelligence solution. Some of Power BI’s industry specialties include telecommunications, government, automotive, financial services, manufacturing, health, media and entertainment, education, retail and more.
- Datasource Integration: Users can draw data from a range of sources with this software, including Salesforce, Excel, google analytics, social media or IoT devices.
- Pre-Built or Custom Dashboards/Reports: For most industries, users can choose from a range of pre-built reports to generate visualizations on KPIs in seconds. If the off-the-shelf reports don’t cut it, users can create custom analysis that answer specific questions to their exact specifications.
- Data Modeling: This software takes data from databases and creates a range of visualizations that conceptualize the data patterns. These can be a range of different graphics including bar graphs, line graphs, pie charts, scattergrams, maps, etc. Visualizing data makes abstract concepts and hard numbers into easy-to-interpret charts that even your least tech-savvy employee can draw insights from.
- Data Organization: With intuitive filters and data manipulation features, users can prepare data to highlight trends, organize unstructured data into interpretable data sets, and filter it in a variety of ways to approach analysis from different angles.
- Mobile Access: Take insights on the go with the streamlined Power BI mobile application. Users can receive alerts, share insights, create reports and stay informed from any mobile device including phones, tablets and laptops via the app. It is compatible with Apple, Android and Windows devices.
- Seamless Integration: Seamlessly integrates with everything in the Microsoft Suite, as well as a range of other software and analytic solutions. This includes third-party data sources like Spark, Google Analytics, etc.
- No direct integration available for services like Vend POS or Shopify
- Graphical visualization is fairly limited as compared to other BI tools
- Doesn’t support SQL queries
- Comparatively difficult to work with huge data sets on Power BI
- Doesn’t let users build scheduled reports, personalized user views, personalized notifications, personalized security views or customizable reports
Microsoft Power BI Suite Support
Cost of Ownership for Microsoft Power BI
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||
Power BI Reviews
The following reviews for Power BI are taken from the SelectHub ReviewFeed which collects and aggregates reviews from across a variety of online review platforms.