What is Looker?Looker is a web-based analytics business intelligence product that offers users the ability to explore, discover, visualize and share data insights. Users can view data sources and drill down into data to better understand their business and metrics.
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Looker
- Real-Time Data: Dashboards and other visualizations update in real time to keep users up to date on the most recent numbers.
- Local Database: This system doesn’t rely on parallel data pipelines or data extracts, but uses an organization’s own proprietary database to collect data.
- Self-Service BI: Users of all technical levels can explore data through the self-serve function, which allows them to refine the automatically generated visualizations. They can create custom dashboards to reflect specific KPIs based on their business’ specific needs.
- Virtual Schema: The solution offers a code-based virtual query-time schema with a live connection to over 35 SQL databases. Data visualizations are kept secure and up-to-date by foregoing data pipelines or extracts.
Industry ExpertiseSome of Looker’s industry specialties are healthcare, the financial sector, technology, software, food and beverage, personnel management, retail, e-commerce and media.
- Automated Modeling: The solution connects to relational databases and automatically generates models from the database schema.
- Intuitive Visualizations: This system generates visualizations in real time directly from the specified data source. It offers an expansive library of visualization options like bar graphs, pie charts, Sankey diagrams, spider web charts, sunburst graphs, chord diagrams, heatmaps, funnels, treemaps and many more.
- Time Zone Handling: Regardless of what time zone data is coming from, this platform incorporates it seamlessly into the visualization.
- LookML Data Modeling Language: The proprietary SQL-based data modeling language LookML lets users create scalable, reusable data models.
- Pre-Built Analytics Code: The Blocks feature offers customizable code blocks that serve as a starting point for building data analytics models. It includes optimized SQL patterns, custom visualization options, pre-built data models and more.
Looker Suite Support
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Synopsis of User Ratings and Reviews
Based on an aggregate of reviews taken from the sources above, the following pros & cons have been curated by a SelectHub Market Analyst.
Looker is a forerunner in the business intelligence field for a reason; it generates reports that include easy sharing via link, automatic scheduling and a level of granular detail that allows for deeper analysis below the surface. It excels in its filter and drill-down features and creates unique URLs when users make changes to data, leading to enhanced sharing. However, one of its biggest strengths could also be considered one of its biggest weaknesses: its proprietary programming language, LookML which is used to construct SQL queries in the platform. While a flexible and powerful data querying language, of course, LookML isn’t the most accessible to non-technical users, which means that Looker requires an IT or data team to access its full capabilities and has a steep learning curve. Users also note that its data visualizations, while simple and easy to understand, are quite basic and lacking in customization options, particularly in comparison to competitors. Some users say that it may be more appropriate for internal reporting than presentation to shareholders and end-users because of its bare-bones visualization options. However, Looker truly shines when used by enterprises, with its scalability and data accessibility making it a stellar solution that can align departments and provide thousands of users access to data insights. Its price point reflects this, with its pricing being prohibitive to startups as about 88% of users who comment on its cost remark. Overall, Looker is a solid pick for larger businesses that have a team of power users who can maximize its functionality and set it up to deliver to employees across an entire organization.
Based on 1077 reviews:
Vice President Jamie Davidson and Director of Product Steve Mahoney have fabricated an exceptional BI tool that received the SelectHub User Favorite Award based on user ratings and reviews. This product team has also earned accolades from SelectHub analysts for Looker’s capabilities in Data Querying and offering innovative solutions.