What is Looker?Looker is a web-based analytics solution that offers users the ability to explore, discover, visualize and share data insights. Users can view data sources and drill down into data to better understand their business and metrics.
Using a simple proprietary modeling language, this system lets users define data relationship while bypassing SQL. It facilitates data literacy and accessibility for users of all technical skill levels as well as data analysts. It was acquired by Google in mid-2019 for $2.9 billion.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use Looker?
Key differentiators & advantages of Looker
- Real-Time Data: Dashboards and other visualizations update in real time to keep users up to date on the most recent numbers.
- Local Database: This system doesn’t rely on parallel data pipelines or data extracts, but uses an organization’s own proprietary database to collect data.
- Self-Service BI: Users of all technical levels can explore data through the self-serve function, which allows them to refine the automatically generated visualizations. They can create custom dashboards to reflect specific KPIs based on their business’ specific needs.
- Virtual Schema: The solution offers a code-based virtual query-time schema with a live connection to over 35 SQL databases. Data visualizations are kept secure and up-to-date by foregoing data pipelines or extracts.
Industry ExpertiseSome of Looker’s industry specialties are healthcare, the financial sector, technology, software, food and beverage, personnel management, retail, e-commerce and media.
- Automated Modeling: The solution connects to relational databases and automatically generates models from the database schema.
- Intuitive Visualizations: This system generates visualizations in real time directly from the specified data source. It offers an expansive library of visualization options like bar graphs, pie charts, Sankey diagrams, spider web charts, sunburst graphs, chord diagrams, heatmaps, funnels, treemaps and many more.
- Time Zone Handling: Regardless of what time zone data is coming from, this platform incorporates it seamlessly into the visualization.
- LookML Data Modeling Language: The proprietary SQL-based data modeling language LookML lets users create scalable, reusable data models.
- Pre-Built Analytics Code: The Blocks feature offers customizable code blocks that serve as a starting point for building data analytics models. It includes optimized SQL patterns, custom visualization options, pre-built data models and more.
Looker Suite Support
mail_outlineEmail:Email: To request an email from the support center, users can submit a contact request by clicking the “contact us” button on the help center homepage.
phonePhone: Phone: Users cannot call support directly. There is an in-app chat option for administrators and developers who are currently logged into their instance of the solution.
schoolTraining:Training: Through the Looker University program, users can experience a huge variety of training resources. These range from whitepaper documents, videos, webinars, community forums, classroom training and live virtual training. Most of these resources are free, but some incur a fee.
local_offerTickets:Tickets: There is no external ticketing system, and all issues are resolved through the in-app chat or the “contact us” option on the support page. Support is available 1:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. PT, 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET or 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. GMT and is subject to US and UK holiday observance.
User Satisfaction i
Based on 356 reviews:
Top Competitors & Alternatives
Relevant articles for Looker
Pricing for Business Intelligence Tools
The following reviews for Looker are taken from the SelectHub ReviewFeed which collects and aggregates reviews from across a variety of online review platforms.
Looker have done what most BI tools are missing, they managed to create a tool that can be used both for nice visualizations, but also to do deep data analysis. I love how everything is flexible, and its always possible to explore your data a step deeper.
Im still missing some flexibility compared to do data analysis in pure SQL and Excel. The price is in the high end compared to the competitors
Ease of use and amazing customer support are by far their best selling features. As a developer it's invaluable to have someone right away to help you with your problem, saving a lot of time and patience Looker allows the entire company to be able to utilize the data platforms we have without a strain on the data analyst resources.
There are some limited functionality when it comes to the direct sql manipulation in the backed in conjunction with the sql derived tables It seems most explores are very specific to teams and therefore new users sometimes get confused where to start looking and how to go about finding the answers to their questions.
Good close collaboration. Support really well and good agreement on pricing