What is Tableau Online?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Tableau Online
- Collaborate Through the Cloud: Because it is hosted fully in the cloud, Tableau is accessible any time, anywhere and from any mobile device. Users can publish their dashboards to a website or send them via email and invite collaborators to interact with them. These features can be accessed through an internet browser or mobile app.
- Implement Quickly and Easily: You can skip the long setup that comes with an on-premise solution like Tableau Desktop and get started right away. Tableau Online can be ready to roll out in hours and doesn’t require you to configure servers, manage IT needs, implement upgrades or perform any other management tasks.
- Perform Searches With NQL: To explore data, users can ask questions of the system in natural speech patterns and it will return answers in the form of a data visualization. It uses algorithms to automatically identify, profile and index data sources to make sure queries are only getting relevant data. This makes it easy for users without coding experience to query data and submit queries.
- Discover Data-Informed Insights: Artificial intelligence and machine learning uncover trends or patterns in the data and then highlight it for analysts to explore. The platform uses statistical data models to guide this exploration and suggest insights that are easy to miss.
- Explore Data: Users can drill down, filter, blend and interact with data through dashboards on the go. Users can customize their views to perform web editing or authoring and spark insights from anywhere. The solution’s selection of data connectors allows users to draw data from a wide variety of sources and perform live queries to get timely data.
- Visualize Data to Make Decisions: Tableau turns data into intuitive graphical representations that guide users through the data to reach insights. The human mind is much more suited to interpreting visual data than numerical information, so this feature makes data easy to understand and act on.
- Do it All in Real Time: Everything above is performed with very low wait times. Data can refresh manually or in real time on a set schedule to ensure all information is up to date, and users can share their insights and visualizations with others in seconds.
- Simplify Deployment and Reduce Costs: Because the solution is cloud-hosted, all updates roll out automatically with user subscriptions, keeping the platform up to date for the same cost. This also means clients are not responsible for providing data security or maintaining an IT staff to troubleshoot issues.
Tableau offers a versatile suite of solutions that serve all industries, but it specializes in software, healthcare, financial services, recruiting, retail, higher education and more. The top regions served by Tableau are the U.S., France, the U.K., Canada, India and Australia.
- Dashboard Starters: These pre-built templates are designed to help users get used to the dashboard system and explore data within a template.
- Smart Suggestions:The system suggests tables, joins, sources and visualizations that make the most sense as the next-best-action based on previous user behavior and patterns. The “show me” feature recommends a selection of best-fit visualizations for the dataset entered to help guide users to the best option for visualization.
- Natural Language Query:The “ask data” feature allows users to ask questions of the system in natural speech patterns and get an instant response as a visualization.
- Geo Visualization: This feature lets users view data geographically to better understand how it relates to other regions, gain location-based insights and improve transparency into business operations. Users can connect the solution to Google Maps for exact positioning or utilize the built-in geographic features to plot data on a map.
- Collaboration:Tableau encourages data literacy by putting data in the hands of everyone at an organization rather than just data analysts. It promotes sharing and collaboration between as well as within departments, and it enables data-driven decision-making at every level.
- Role-Based Security: Managers can set role-based access to individual dashboards or the system as a whole to ensure users can only view, edit and interact with dashboards they are cleared to access.
- Embeddability: You can offer secure access to partners and clients by embedding the analytics capabilities into another software solution, website or hosting platform. This promotes a seamless user experience and improves adoption. It also streamlines the process of drawing data from the host platform.
- Tableau Server does not support data encryption
- Does not provide multi-location support
- The solution is not user-friendly, especially the report-builder
- Does not allow users to share datasets, and requires a separate subscription package
- Requires IT support for integrations and other high-end tasks. Users cannot do this using tutorials or self-help videos on their own
Tableau Online Suite Support
Cost of Ownership for Tableau
|License/Subscription Cost||Based on the number of users and user-licenses. Subscription costs allow users to access Tableau over a set time-frame both on-premise and through the cloud
On-Premise: An additional cost over and above the upfront cost has to be paid for ongoing support and maintenance
Cloud-based/SaaS: There is no maintenance and support cost for the Cloud/Web-based solution
On-Premise: Typically charged over and above the license cost.
Cloud-based/SaaS: Included in the subscription cost
Custom version cannot be requested - rather users can do limited customizations on their own, such as:
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||
Data Migration is possible in Tableau Servers and can be done with the following tools:
|Recurring/Renewal Costs||Renewal cost is equivalent to the fees paid annually based upon the number of users|
Tableau Online Reviews
The following reviews for Tableau Online are taken from the SelectHub ReviewFeed which collects and aggregates reviews from across a variety of online review platforms.