What is Cognos Analytics?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
IBM Cognos is a self-service, web-based analytics platform from IBM. Cognos provides a number of standard features, such as reporting, analytics, monitoring, events and metrics.
Cognos has various software components which give the core software additional functionality. Components such as Cognos Framework Manager, IBM Cognos Cube Designer and IBM Cognos Transformer give the software flexibility as well as agility when processing large sets of data, and reporting. The report gives users the ability to not just visualize their insights, but share them among colleagues.
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Cognos Analytics
- Stay in Control: IBM Cognos is built around data management and data governance features, meaning you have oversight over your data.
- Flexible Deployment: Cloud-based or on-premise, where you deploy is up to you.
- Mobile Sharing: Cognos offers a mobile portal for sharing data reports, as well as monitoring analytics.
- Out-of-the-Box Capabilities: The software comes with numerous preconfigured settings, allowing users to start analyzing almost instantly.
- Visualization: Automatic recommendation of the best visualizations for particular data templates and styles let you format reports quickly.
Industry ExpertiseIBM is over a century old, with a century's worth of experience. They serve customers across the board, with large names such as Microsoft, HP, Cisco, Dell, Intel, Google and Intel appearing on their list of customers.
- Components: Components offer users additional features found outside the core Cognos product. IBM Cognos Framework Manager, IBM Cognos Cube Designer and IBM Cognos Transformer all integrate into Cognos.
- Powerful Reporting: The reporting suite is a robust, professional environment, offering users the ability to create detailed charts, graphs, maps, voiceovers and repeat functions. The express mode also simplifies reporting for non-technical users.
- Web-based Interface: IBM Cognos is built from the ground up to be a web-based platform, making it accessible on any hardware.
- Natural Language-powered AI: With a built-in AI, powered by NLP, you can interrogate your data and receive natural, consistent responses.
- Automated Modeling: Automated modeling allows users to verify and combine their data, and assess relationships between separate data points.
Some of the product limitations include:
- Lacks features such as budgeting and forecasting, profit analysis, strategic planning
- Data reports take much longer to compile
- Expensive for start-ups and small organizations
- Does not support offline mode as it is entirely a web-based system
- Difficult to deploy, set-up and maintain
IBM Cognos Suite Support
IBM has three ways for a user to get in contact with their support teams; phone, tickets, or training. The company also offers a self-service portal for troubleshooting issues with the software by yourself. If the user can’t troubleshoot the software, they can reach out to IBM through the methods outlined below.
Cost of Ownership for IBM Cognos
|License/Subscription Cost||Dependent on the type of license – workgroup, standard or enterprise (refer pricing section for more details)|
|Installation/Implementation Cost||Included in license/subscription cost|
|Customization Cost||Will vary depending on the functional requirements such as configurable dashboards, complexity of workflows, forms to collect additional data, UI changes, etc.|
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||Dependent on your current software, amount of data to be migrated, availability of migration tools, complexity of data and gaps between the existing system and the new system.|
|Recurring/Renewal Costs||Renewal fee includes license cost and maintenance fee for the new or next year|
Cognos Analytics Reviews
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Based on 940 reviews: