What is Cognos Analytics?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Cognos Analytics
- Stay in Control: Provide oversight over user data with built-in data management and data governance features.
- Flexible Deployment: Deploy either in the cloud or on-premise.
- Mobile Sharing: Share data reports and monitor analytics via a mobile portal.
- Out-of-the-Box Capabilities: Allow users to start analyzing almost instantly with numerous preconfigured settings.
- Visualization: Get automatic recommendations for the best visualizations for particular data templates. Format reports quickly with styles.
- Components: Boost the feature set of the core platform with components that enhance data modeling, visualization and analytics capabilities.
- Powerful Reporting: Create detailed charts, graphs, maps, voiceovers and repeat functions with the robust, professional reporting suite. Simplify reporting for non-technical users with express mode.
- Web-based Interface: Access the platform on any hardware via the web.
- Natural Language-powered AI: Interrogate data and receive natural, consistent responses with a built-in AI, powered by NLP.
- Automated Modeling: Verify and combine data via automated modeling, and assess relationships between separate data points.
- Integration with MS Sharepoint is not supported
- Lacks write back capability for reports
- Does not integrate well with OLAP data and IBM Planning Analytics
- Expensive for start-ups and small organizations
Cost of Ownership
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||
Cognos Analytics Reviews
Average customer reviews & user sentiment summary:
of users would recommend this product
Synopsis of User Ratings and Reviews
Based on an aggregate of reviews taken from the sources above, the following pros & cons have been curated by a SelectHub Market Analyst.
IBM Cognos Analytics is an excellent BI tool and rates very highly with users on all major counts. Users are unanimous in their praise of its data management and data analysis capabilities to provide a single source of truth. Having ventured into AI-powered tools with the 11.1.3 version in 2018, IBM is making bold strides to incorporate augmented intelligence into the platform. IBM has astutely combined this solution with the capabilities of one of its other offerings, Watson Analytics, for natural language processing - a game-changer for empowering non-technical users to create a vast range of dashboards. With AI-enabled exploration, users can review key drivers of metrics and identify gaps in data, though some users feel that more tools are needed for content store exploration through its relational database. It also rates excellently with users for its data integration and ad-hoc reporting capabilities, efficient metadata management and extensive data modeling features.
Several strong features of this platform, as noted by reviewers, include Jupyter notebooks, regular updates to the platform and enhancements to data modules, though when it comes to integrating with Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) data sources and IBM Planning Analytics in particular, it comes up short. Version 11 of the platform comes with over-the-top installs for upgrades, which reduces time to set up; though some users feel that integrations built with the current SDK solution can be tedious to implement and maintain. Being part of the IBM software suite, it connects seamlessly to other IBM products under the same umbrella. However, integration with MS-Sharepoint is not supported; this can be managed with workarounds, but only for on-premise setups, not cloud-based deployments. The platform has a rich reporting repertoire with report burst capabilities, pivots and Cognos Event Studio for event-driven reports. However, many users feel that Report Studio should provide the write back capability, which is crucial for business. As for the cost, a majority of users feel that its licensing models are restrictive, especially when compared to other BI solutions; though the vendor seems to address pricing and ease of use with version 11.1.3.
In summary, Cognos Analytics is among the best BI solutions in the market today and IBM, with its ear to the ground, is delivering enhanced data analysis and reporting capabilities at scale.
Based on 940 reviews:
The Cognos Analytics team at IBM has demonstrated its commitment to deliver a best-in-class BI tool and has received the Augmented Analytics Business Intelligence Software Award by SelectHub analysts. The team also earned honors for providing its customers with exceptional Security and Mobile BI.